Friday, March 29, 2024 4:25:48 AM

Installing the new Yale Touchscreen Deadbolt

Posted: 7 years ago
Finally finding a spare hour in my weekend, between kids sports and the lawns, I thought its about time I installed one of these new locks.
For me this was a straight replacement of an existing Eziset deadbolt on our back door.

Checking I had room on both sides to fit the unit, it was an easy process to undo the existing unit with removing a couple of screws. I had to drill deeper in to the door frame where the bolt extends as the existing deadbolt was shorter than the Yale.

Once removed it was a simple process of following the installation guide that came with the lock. You can find this on our website if you have misplaced the instructions.
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B04ih-mmfgrQUEpXalJQVVF4NWs

The Z-Wave Module:
Now that the lock was attached to the door, I attached the Z-wave module into the top of the battery compartment.
NOTE: Make sure you do not install the batteries until the Z-Wave module has been plugged in.
Now the batteries go in and the compartment lid gets put back.
Setup on the Lock:
This again was as simple as following the setup instructions. I created a master passcode.
My preference is to use 6 numbers rather than 4. And not to use 6 numbers that I want to use for unlocking the door as this will clash with master code entry.

Connecting to Vera:
Vera knows about the Yale lock already, so this made the process very easy. Once you login, select “Devices” and click the “Add Device” link on the right of the screen.
From here you select the locks section and find the Yale lock. Pick the “Yale YRD220-ZW”.
The instructions tell you what to do next on both the vera and the door lock.
Once you go to the lock and enter the master code it takes a few seconds to register and then Vera updates its security keys and connects.
NOTE: I did get impatient and try to retry the pairing. This was not needed as it had already created the connection and once I cancelled out the lock came up fine.

Setup:
Now that it was loaded I wanted to add a couple of entry codes for the family and setup alerts to tell me when they were used.
From within the device control page, pin codes can be added by clicking the “Pin Codes” link.
I unticked the “Show pin codes in clear” as I am paranoid!
Once I entered a few different codes for people, adding their name to the Name column, I tried out the restrictions and created a time bound code to see how it worked.
The next thing was to setup the notifications. Again from the Control page I selected “Notifications”.
The first one I setup was to alert me whenever the lock changed state. This is a good one to allow you to monitor when the door is tampered with.
Next I setup an alert for each of the family. To do this you need to know which code# you have assigned to which person.
Once setup I got the family to have a play.

Next Steps:
I haven’t added it to any scenes yet, but I am going to try linking the unlocking with lights and other functions. Also see if I can setup a camera to take photos when a wrong code has been entered.
Posted: 7 years ago
Contacted a local locksmith and found out the cost to get the barrels replaced.
If I take the units in they cost $15 to key the same as my existing house key.
For them to come out and replace the barrels, the cost was around $150.